STORServer (@STORServer) is excited to report we’re shipping release, version 22.214.171.124, of IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) data protection software on our award-winning Enterprise Backup Appliances.
The TSM team over at IBM has made big strides in enhancing enterprise data protection software, and at STORServer, we’ve kept pace by continuing to make it easier to use IBM’s technology to help new customers initiate enterprise backup operations on day one.
Rob Didlake, CEO of Dataedge, one of our reseller partners, had this to say about the potential benefits: “The evolution of the data center toward convergence and cloud-scale require data management solutions that can be trusted to protect valuable data today and expand reliably in the future. The next-generation STORServer appliance based on the TSM engine delivers greater infrastructure and application availability while expanding our opportunities to help customers better solve their virtualization and business continuity challenges.”
The combination of an easy-to-use STORServer-developed console interface and IBM software updates will increase storage efficiency and data availability with features such as automated global deduplication, advanced replication and optimized virtualized backup capabilities.
Simple to manage, faster under the hood
We’ve made some big enhancements in both hardware and software.
STORServer offers five appliance models powered by IBM Tivoli Storage Manager release 126.96.36.199:
- BA641– for corporate departments or branch offices.
- EBA852, EBA1502, EBA2502 and EBA3502 – ideal for larger organizations with multiple petabytes of data to protect.
Additionally, STORServer is upgrading its hardware appliances with faster “Ivy Bridge” generation of Intel Xeon processors. The improved processor and memory performance now supports up to 10 processing cores and higher embedded cache memory while lowering overall power consumption.
We’re pleased to continue to roll out enhancements to two important pieces of software that complement TSM:
- STORServer Console – STORServer provides value-added features that enhance ease-of-use for daily administrative tasks and improve manageability at scale for large TSM deployments. STORServer takes the guesswork out of TSM with alerts and customizable email reports on client activities, administrative activities, storage pools and more without logging into the management server.
- Virtual Machine Backup – Maximizing the efficiency of VM backups STORServer provides a point and click scheduler and admin interface. To eliminate the problem of newly created VMs being left out of backup schedules, STORServer’s Virtual Machine Backup includes a dot next to the name if VM is included in a backup schedule. To add a new VM to a backup schedules or multiple schedules simply point and click. Designed to be used by both backup admins and also by admins in the VM group.
The main features and benefits of TSM include some significant updates for Microsoft environments. TSM customers now have an option for a single-pass incremental-forever virtual machine backup from which you can restore a file, disk, or entire VM with Hyper-V in the latest V7.1.1 release. For VMware this has been available since TSM release 6.2, but the full features for both Hyper-V and VMware are now in V7.1.1. The IBM engineering team is continually improving the reliability of TSM for enterprise quality data protection.
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager release 188.8.131.52 enhancements
- TSM for Virtual Environments: extends incremental forever backup for Microsoft Hyper-V without deploying an agent in guest and simplifies single file restore for VMware environments. Integration with the VMware vSphere Web Client enables VMware administrators to restore VMs from Tivoli Storage Manager and monitor progress directly from the vSphere Web Client interface.
- TSM Server: Policy differentiation for replicated data allows admins to only store the most recently changed data at the DR site, which lowers storage consumption and costs and optimizes bandwidth. Admins can define policies for retention time and number of versions on the source and target TSM servers.
- TSM Backup Appliance Client: Enhanced security with support of 256-bit AES Encryption and Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 support. Data can be encrypted both at rest and on the fly.
- Data Protection for Microsoft SQL Server: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 support includes protection for offline, mirroring, snapshot, or restore operations.
- TSM for Mail helps improve usability and performance when restoring folders with individual mailbox restores, and supports Microsoft Exchange role-based access control.
Customers with existing software maintenance contracts can upgrade their IBM Tivoli Storage Manager environments to the latest version, release 184.108.40.206, at no additional charge. Contact us at 719-266-8777 x7315 or your channel partner representative for more information.