COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (July 25, 2013) –– STORServer®, the leading provider of proven data backup solutions for the mid-market, announces today the availability of version 5.0 of its Virtual Machine Backup (VMB) software, which now includes IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager (TSM) for Virtual Environments (VE).
TSM for VE protects VMware vSphere virtual machines by offloading backup workloads to a centralized server and enabling near-instant recovery. It enables data protection without the need for a traditional backup window. Now, users can protect massive amounts of information that virtual machines generate without impacting the physical resources of the VMware server.
STORServer VMB v5.0 provides access to the many of the features of TSM for VE, including:
- Block-level full and incremental backups based on VMware changed block tracking (CBT)
- Virtual machine and individual file recovery from both full and incremental backups
- Block-level incremental backups of virtual machines running on non-Windows operating systems
- The “incremental forever” backup strategy (available with TSM for VE version 6.4 or newer), which eliminates the need for weekly full machine backups
- Restore capability from other TSM for VE user interfaces, including a VMware vCenter Client plug-in
- Instant restores of virtual machine disk volumes using the TSM for VE Recovery Agent GUI
Through an easy-to-use graphical interface, STORServer VMB controls backups of VMware virtual environments. The software uses the new VMware vStorage APIs to control the movement of data directly to and from disk storage into TSM storage pools without the use of agents or VMware servers, eliminating the impact of backup on production servers. It also eliminates the cumbersome tasks of writing scripts or managing TSM schedules and option files, enabling management without TSM expertise.
STORServer VMB v5.0 supports the use of the initial release of TSM for VE (v6.3) as well as the more recently released TSM for VE v6.4, which adds the incremental forever backup strategy and other features. The software continues to support the use of its previously available backup technology, VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit (VDDK). Users can configure VMB to use either technology for all backups or use one technology as the default technology, and configure selected virtual machine clients to use the other.
Built on TSM, STORServer offers a complete suite of enterprise backup appliances, software and services that solve today’s backup, archive and disaster recovery challenges. STORServer EBA 3100, 2100, 1100 and 800 recently took four out of five top positions in the DCIG 2012 Backup Appliance Buyer’s Guide. After evaluating 66 products, DCIG felt that no other backup appliance came close to the EBA3100, placing it in a category of its own.
For more information on the company’s line of data backup solutions, visit https://storserver.com. To download the full DCIG 2012 Backup Appliance Buyer’s Guide, visit http://backupapplianceguide.com.