While choosing a backup appliance for your organization, analyzing your current infrastructure and reviewing the existing backup systems in the organization come first. Once these are reviewed, you can move on to the other aspects that will help you determine the specifics of the backup system that will suit your organization’s backup as well as business interests. One of the most crucial steps in the process is ensuring compliance.
Compliance is a serious concern when it comes to data backup security. While organizations across various sectors are required to comply with regulations that are mandated by various government entities, organizations dealing with medical, financial and legal information have even stricter rules to follow. Adherence to these rules is necessary not only from a regulatory point of view, but it is also necessary for the health of a business.
Important compliance mandates include:
- HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)
- SOX (related to corporate governance)
- J-SOX (to protect investors through control of financial reporting)
- PCI-DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard)
- EU compliance (as per the European Privacy Directive with regards to business dealings in the European Union)
- State Breach Notification Laws (kicks in when a data breach occurs)
- GLBA Compliance (the responsibility of financial institutions in protecting a consumer’s personal information)
Compliance regulations are in place to ensure that important data is given sufficient protection by organizations. Every organization, therefore, needs to review whether its data backup, data security and disaster recovery plans fall in line with related regulations. Several aspects, such as the time required to restore data in case of an emergency, the storage locations of data and the disaster recovery plans in place, determine whether the organization is complying with the mandated regulations. The backup solution you choose should fulfill all compliance requirements.
At STORServer, we believe that every detail related to your organizational data structure is a vital one, including compliance. Our Solution Wizard ensures that you don’t miss out crucial details while hunting for a backup solution. Contact us today for a backup and disaster recovery system that is comprehensive and compliant.